YOUNG ARTIST COMPETITION
for full time high school and college students
through age 29
THE APPLICATION DEADLINE FOR THE 2020 YOUNG ARTIST COMPETITION HAS PASSED. THE INFORMATION PROVIDED BELOW IS FOR INFORMATIONAL PURPOSES ONLY. 2021 COMPETITION INFORMATION WILL BE AVAILABLE THIS FALL.
The Atlanta Flute Club announces its twentieth annual Young Artist competition. The competition is open to full-time high school and college students who have not reached their thirtieth (30th) birthday. Applicants must be members of the Atlanta Flute Club and be current in their dues obligations (dues may be included when sending in application if not already paid). A preliminary CD audition is required. A committee will judge the preliminary audition, and three finalists will be chosen to compete at the AFC Flute Fair in March 2020. Prizes are as follows:
First place - $1200
Second place - $800
Third place - $500
The first place winner will be featured in recital at the 2021 Flute Fair. Please note that finalists will be required to register for the 2020 Flute Fair.
• Performer’s application must include a high quality recording on CD. Two pieces shall be required on the preliminary CD: (1) Mozart – Concerto in D Major-1st movement, and (2) a piece of the applicant’s choice, preferably in a contrasting style. All pieces that require accompaniment shall include same on CD. Please include a cadenza with the Mozart. CDs shall not exceed 30 minutes in length, and shall not include any identification on them.
• A typewritten biographical sketch (one paragraph) should be included with the application.
• A check for the $25 tape application fee must accompany the application. Checks should be made payable to the Atlanta Flute Club.
• Applications must be postmarked by December 23, 2019. Finalists will be notified by January 31, 2020. The three finalists will compete at the Flute Fair, each presenting a 20-25 minute program, consisting of repertoire of their choice. An accompanist will be provided for the competition unless you prefer to use your own.
• Send application, bio, fee, and CD to:
Angela Sherzer, 408 Brewster Lane, St. Simons Island, GA 31522.
* You must be a AFC Member in order to compete.
YOUNG ARTIST COMPETITION WINNERS
2001 - 2019
TAMMY EVANS YONCE
JOHN SAMUEL ROPER